Festive Fun Facts
- During the Christmas season, nearly 28 sets of LEGOs are sold every second.
- Christmas purchases account for 1/6 of all retails sales in the U.S.
- Approximately 30-35 million real (living) Christmas trees are sold each year in the U.S.
- Christmas wasn’t declared an official holiday in the U.S. until June 26, 1870.
- Christmas trees usually grow for about 15 years before they are sold.
- According to the Guinness World Records, the tallest Christmas tree ever cut was a 221-foot Douglas fir that was displayed in 1950 at the Northgate Shopping Center in Seattle, Washington.
- Holiday retailers use music to attract potential shoppers. For example, if shoppers like the type of music retailers are playing, they will be more likely to enter the store and like the products. Additionally, the slower the tempo of the music, the slower people will walk through the store, and the more they will buy. A faster tempo will encourage shoppers to walk faster and, consequently, they won’t buy as much.
- December 15-24th is the crux of the holiday shopping season, accounting for 40% of holiday business.
- Holiday retail sales crossed the $1 trillion mark for the first time in 2018.
- The average American shopper spent $846 on gifts in 2018 – a 14% increase from 2017.
- Black Friday is the busiest traffic day of the year.
- In 2018, Cyber Monday generated $7.9 billion in online sales – making it the biggest sales day in US e-commerce history.
- About 40% of all holiday sales in the U.S. takes place on Amazon.
- 55% of all holiday purchases will take place online.
- The most desired holiday gift is a gift card – with 60% of people preferring it to other holiday gifts. Yet, most shoppers (59%) would rather gift clothing and accessories.
- 2019 online sales are expected to grow up to 12% to $764.8 billion.
- 55% of people abandon shopping cards due to high extra costs such as shipping rates, fees and taxes.
- Most e-commerce purchases take place on Mondays, followed by Sundays. Most e-commerce sales take place between the hours of 8PM to 9PM.