Summer Fun Facts
- In the U.S., over 650 million long-distance summer trips are made.
- In the U.S., the top 5 most popular summer vacations are: beach/ocean, a famous city, national parks, a lake, and a resort.
- The top 5 most popular summer activities in the U.S. are: shopping, visiting historical sites, swimming/water sports, going to a park or national park, and sightseeing tours.
- A universal summer treat is watermelon. Watermelon is part of the cucumber, pumpkin, and squash family and consists of 92% water. On average, Americans consume 15 pounds of watermelon annually.
- Popsicles, a popular summer treat, was accidentally invented by an 11-year old boy in San Francisco in 1905. He left a glass of soda sitting outside and by the next morning the soda had frozen. He began selling them at an amusement park in New Jersey.
- Cherry is the number one popsicle flavor.
- Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, Americans eat over 7 billion hot dogs.
- There were 2.5 million people living in the nation in July 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was approved. Now, an estimated 327 million people in living in the nation.
- There were approximately $332 million of fireworks imported into the U.S. in 2018.