Great American Insurance Company ("Great American," "we," “our,” or “us”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy. This Policy describes how we handle the information we collect from you. This policy pertains to residents of Canada to whom we offer, service or sell insurance products.
Information We Collect About You
The type of personal information we may request and you may voluntarily provide to us includes:
- Home address
- Home or mobile telephone numbers
- Email addresses
(Collectively, “Generic Personal Information”)
In addition, the type of personal information we may request and you may voluntarily provide to us at the time of applying for insurance coverage and thereafter includes:
- Birth Date
- Employment history
- Annual Income
(Collectively, “Non-Generic Personal Information”)
How We Use Personal Information
We collect, hold, use, and disclose your personal data:
- To fulfill your requests, process orders, and complete transactions;
- To process, investigate, and manage claims;
- To underwrite and quote insurance products;
- To correspond with you;
- Occasionally to notify you by mail, phone, Email, or SMS about new services and special offers that we think you or the company you represent might find valuable or to inform you about important new changes to our Website;
- Other purposes disclosed at the time the information is requested;
- To combat fraud;
- As required or permitted by law.
To Whom We Disclose Personal Information
We do not sell your information to anyone. We may disclose your information to conduct our business, such as to issue policies, service policies, and settle claims, and as otherwise allowed by law. Your data may be stored or transferred to servers outside your country. Your information, as described above, may be disclosed to the following:
- Our employees and affiliates to administer, process, and service your policy, contract, or account;
- Non-affiliated third parties, as allowed by law, who are assisting us by performing services or functions on our behalf, such as agents, brokers, brokerage firms, administrators, auditors, insurance companies, and service providers;
- Government agencies or regulators, as required by law or regulation ;
- An entity or person for which you have provided express consent;
- Any entity (including their professional advisors) with whom we may merge or to whom we may sell all or part of our business or assets, or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control.
Service Providers Outside of Canada
Occasionally we do use service providers located outside of Canada to process and/or store personal information for us. Please note that personal information in the custody of these service providers may be subject to access by the law enforcement authorities of those jurisdictions in which the service providers are located.
We can provide further information about our policies and practices regarding service providers located outside of Canada and further information about how these service providers, collect, use, disclose or store personal information on our behalf. Please contact us as indicated below.
What Happens If We Cannot Collect Your Personal Data
If you do not provide us with the Generic Personal Information described above, we may not be able to:
- Provide you with information about our products or services, or
- Tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experiences on our websites so they may not be as enjoyable or useful.
If you do not provide us with the Generic Personal Information and/or Non-Generic Personal Information described above, we may not be able to:
- Process the orders or claims, or provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all; or
- Respond to your inquiries.
Website Privacy Practices
You can access our Website and browser without disclosing your personal data, subject to the automatic collection of information via “cookies” as described below. We do not collect personal information about you on our Website unless you choose to provide it to us voluntarily.
The Website uses “cookies” which enable us to collect data when you interact with the Website or when you email us. When you visit the Website, our web server sends a cookie to your computer. A cookie is an electronically transmitted file that holds small pieces of information. When you navigate through our Website, your browser “requests” pages for you to view, and that request will include the information stored in the cookie we previously sent to your computer. This process is like an electronic “handshake” between our system and your computer; the information exchanges allow us to recognize your browser and can make your navigation and use of the Website easier and more meaningful.
Cookies are used to collect and store only the following information: the visitor’s domain name, the Internet address of the website from which the visitor linked directly to our Website, the pages of our site that the visitor views and the length of time spent on each page, browser and operating system platform type, and the date and time the visitor accessed our website. Cookies, as well as data taken from Cookies do not identify you personally. They merely recognize your browser.
You can set your computer to accept all Cookies, to notify you when a Cookie is issued or not to receive cookies at any time. Selecting not to receive cookies can mean that certain services or functionality cannot be provided.
We may log your IP address (i.e., electronic address of computers connected to the Internet) to analyze trends, administer the Website, track user movements, and gather broad demographic patterns.
Third Party Websites
This Website may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such websites.
How We Safeguard Your Personal Information
We strive to protect your personal information. We educate our employees about the terms of this Notice and the value of your privacy. We only share your information to provide services to you and to maintain our products, or as allowed by law. We use a system of passwords and other appropriate physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect against unauthorized access to your data. While we strive to protect your personal data, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal data you transmit to us electronically, and you do so at your own risk.
How Long do you Keep my Personal Information?
We keep your personal information as long as is reasonably necessary for us to complete our dealings with you, or as may be required by law, whichever is longer.
Access to Your Records
You have a right to access and correct information that we collect about you. To access your information please send a written request to the address below stating that you would like to access your data. Either you or a personal representative must sign this request and provide a copy of your driver’s license or other valid photo identification. You also have a right to request that we correct any data that you believe is incorrect. To amend your data, please send us a written request, at the address below, stating what data you believe needs correcting. Once again, either you or your personal representative must sign this request and must provide a copy of your driver’s license or other valid photo identification. Upon our verification of your identity, we will destroy the copy of your driver’s license or other valid photo identification you have provided. If you submit a request to amend your data, we will investigate and, if we agree, will correct our records. If we do not correct the information, you have the right to file with us a written statement of dispute, which we will include in any future disclosure of your information.
Can I be Denied Access to My Personal Information?
Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute.
We may deny access when:
- Denial of access is required or authorized by law;
- When granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy, unless the requested information is severable from the personal information of other people; and
- To protect our confidential commercial information.
If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct information, we shall explain why.
Contact and Questions
Great American Insurance Company
301 East Fourth Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202-4201
Attention: P&C Legal