HVAC & Plumbing Riskopolis
- While installing a new HVAC system in an old office building, HVAC contractor Harry used a hole saw to cut through a section of the ceiling. He was unaware that the saw had inadvertently disturbed and released asbestos-containing insulation material. As a result, Harry had to pay for cleanup costs for the asbestos fibers released throughout the building.
- Harry the HVAC contractor was installing a new system on the rooftop of an office building. In the process of installation, he disturbed a nest of hornets that began swarming the vicinity of his work. To protect himself, he sprayed an insecticide, which flowed into the new office building’s HVAC system. Several tenants became ill due to an allergic reaction to the insecticide. Bodily injury claims were made.
- While installing a new HVAC unit in an office building, Harry, the HVAC contractor, improperly constructed the system which caused mold growth in a portion of the building. The facility was forced to relocate several employees during the repair of the system, and the renovation of the moldy building materials. A claim for cleanup costs was filed.
- Following a power outage, a musty smell was present at an office facility. Air testing revealed elevated levels of mold in the production areas of the facilities due to the HVAC system. They were required to remediate the mold and to shut down business operations for several days.
- Several office employees became ill from legionella. The legionella was caused by improper duct sealing during the installation of a new HVAC unit, which allowed condensation to build up. The employees brought suit against the property owner and Harry the HVAC contractor.
- Mike, the mechanical contractor, had installed two emergency generators at an office building. Shortly after the building performed routine maintenance on the generators, one of the day tanks began to overflow due to a sticking valve. Extensive cleanup costs resulted due to the porosity of the soil and the close proximity of groundwater.
- Pamela, the plumbing contractor, was working on renovations for an office building. Unfortunately, during renovations, Pamela installed the incorrect size roof drain. The diameter of the installed drain could not handle the volume of water generated during a rainstorm. Because of this, the rainwater overflowed and pooled on the roof, eventually leaking into the interior, resulting in water damage and mold growth.
You can sign-up for the Construction-Focused Riskopolis Series below. Watch this page evolve throughout the year as we unveil new contracting characters who encounter the same environmental challenges your clients’ might experience!
Coverage examples are for illustrative purposes only. All coverage is subject to underwriting.
We look forward to working with you to craft a product that exceeds your clients’ expectations!
For more information about Great American and the wide variety of business risks we insure, please visit GAIG.com/Environmental.